Monday, March 22, 2010

Banana bread



I decided to make banana bread yesterday because I had the oven on for roasting chicken. The recipe was very simple but at the same time, it had a weird ingredient that I was somewhat skeptical about -- it used 1/2 cup of Miracle Whip. I guess it does make sense for something sour like sour cream, which is commonly used in chocolate cakes. I think it gives it the moist texture and evens the sweetness of the sugar and banana.

The recipe said that the baking time was 1 hour...mine took longer, more like 1.5 hours. I also did not have the walnut pieces it called for, instead I put some raspberry jam on top and used the knife to make some swirls. Looked nice in uncooked batter, but blended into the same brown colour when it was done. You would never have thought there was any jam.

Rating for this recipe...4 out of 5 stars. Simple, ingredients are in every one's cupboards and yummy. (Kid tested) And definitely fun to make with the kids...I do have two of the best mixers -- who needs the Kitchenaid stand up mixer!!

Banana Bread

1 egg
1/2 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
1-1/3 cups mashed fully ripe bananas (about 3)
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

HEAT oven to 350ºF.

BEAT egg, dressing and bananas in large bowl with whisk until well blended. Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Add to banana mixture; stir just until moistened.

POUR into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.

BAKE 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 min.; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

Optional
Stir 1 cup Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips into batter before pouring into pan and baking as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment